Do you have a favorite frozen food?? I can’t get enough of these frozen chicken wontons from Trader Joe’s with their soyaki teriyaki sauce. They are perfect for a quick work form home lunch in 20 minutes or less.
You can make this recipe with any mini wontons or pot stickers. The different varieties may be made from different dough, but either work for this recipe.
This stir fry recipe can support a few different veggies, I just added some of my favorites here. So, by all means, have a little fun with it, or if you just need to clear a few things out of the fridge, you can try something different!
Ingredients for this Wonton Stir Fry
To get started, you’ll need Trader Joe’s Mini Wontons, chopped veggies (carrots, cauliflower, shallots, and asparagus spears) and seasonings.
You’ll also need teriyaki sauce to use for the stir fry sauce. And I like to top stir frys with fresh herbs like Thai basil from my Aerogarden.
Last but not least, fresh mashed guacamole made with cilantro makes this a completely satisfying lunch dish.
Let’s Make Trader Joe’s Chicken Cilantro Mini Wontons Stir Fry
Step 1. Make the guacamole ahead for serving stir fry with wontons.
First you will want to remove the skin and pit from avocado. Next, dice avocado and add it to a bowl. Then, add garlic salt, pepper, and cilantro. Use the back of a fork to mash the avocado and blend the seasonings together. Set aside.
Step 2. Then you will heat a medium skillet on the stove to medium-high heat and add olive oil.
Step 3. Next, add raw diced vegetables and frozen potstickers (here I used Trader Joe’s Chicken Cilantro Mini Wontons).
Step 4. Cook the vegetables and pot stickers on the stove for a few minutes, stirring occasionally so the ingredients don’t stick to the pan or burn, and so they cook on all sides.
Step 5. Add the teriyaki sauce to your dish and simmer.
Step 6. Once the wontons are browned, add the teriyaki sauce to the pan. (I used Trader Joe’s Soyaki Teriyaki).
Step 7. Add water, cover, and reduce to medium low.
Step 8. Simmer wontons for 3-5 minutes until almost all of the liquid has evaporated.
Step 9. Remove cover from pan and stir the pot sticker stir fry until all the water evaporates.
Step 10. Remove the pan from the heat and plate the stir fry. Add the guacamole and a sprinkle of fresh Thai basil to taste.
Serve and enjoy!
Final tips for this wonton stir fry
Here are some other great ways to for make the most of this tasty meal:
- Pair this type of a stir fry with a white wine.
- Serve with some Trader Joe’s spring rolls – or any frozen spring rolls – if you’re serving this as a larger meal for dinner.
- You can’t go wrong serving a salad at almost any meal and this one is no exception! Any green salad with an asian style vinaigrette, a ginger dressing or asian sesame dressing will do nicely.
Are you a foodie too?
More recipes using Trader Joe’s ingredients
Are you a Trader Joe’s enthusiast, too? I love planning grocery trips to Trader Joe’s. It’s almost like a vacation… strolling up and down the aisles to discover new things. When I come home, I’m inspired to develop new recipes.
My best recipes using Trader Joe’s products end up here on Sip Bite Go…
- Cauliflower Rice. Use it in place of bread crumbs in Hawaiian pineapple bbq meatballs and as a filling for cheesy Italian stuffed peppers. Also try it in a vegetable stir fry with cauliflower rice.
- Ready Made Pizza Dough. I’m a huge fan of making pizza at home and have extensive information on how to use Trader Joe’s Pizza Dough.
- Frozen Pizza Crust. Learn how to make frozen pizza crust taste amazing.
- Everything But The Bagel Seasoning. This is super delicious on focaccia bread with Everything Bagel Seasoning.
- Frozen Gyoza and Potstickers. These are great in frozen vegetable stir frys. See my guide to Trader Joe’s chicken cilantro mini wontons or Trader Joe’s vegetable gyoza.
- Frozen Ravioli. Sometimes I just serve it with tomato sauce. Other times, I go a little nuts and make ravioli pizza with store bought Alfredo sauce.
- Spice Kits. Did you know you can buy Trader Joe’s products online? This Trader Joe’s spice kit inspires so many recipes in my house.
- Cheese. The cheese case at Trader Joe’s is undeniably amazing. Use it for potatoes gratin with frozen vegetables, this recipe for baked shells with ground beef, or in potato side dish recipes.
Trader Joe’s Chicken Cilantro Mini Wontons Stir Fry
For the guacamole
- 1 medium avocado
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tbsp cilantro freshly chopped
- 1/4 pepper
For the wonton stir fry
- 1 medium carrot diced to 1"
- 1 cup cauliflower in large pieces
- 2 tbsp shallots diced to 1/2"
- 2 asparagus spears diced to 1"
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 12 frozen wontons (Trader Joe's Mini Wontons)
- 3 tbsp teriyaki sauce (Trader Joe's Soyaki Teriyaki)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp Thai basil fresh
- Make the guacamole ahead for serving stir fry with wontons. Remove skin and pit from avocado. Dice avocado and add it to a bowl. Add garlic salt, pepper, and cilantro. Use a fork to mash avocado and seasonings together. Set aside.
- Pan fry the wontons stir fry. Heat a medium skillet on the stove to medium-high heat. Add olive oil. Add raw diced vegetables. Add frozen potstickers onthe stove for a few minutes, stirring occasionally so the ingredients don't stick to the pan or burn, and so they cook on all sides.
- Add teriyaki sauce and simmer. Once wontons are browned, add teriyaki sauce to the pan. (I used Trader Joe's Soyaki Teriyaki). Then add water, cover, and reduce to medium low. Simmer wontons for 3-5 minutes until almost all of the liquid has evaporated. Remove cover from pan and stir pto sticker stiry fry until all water evaporates.
- Plate and serve. Remove from heat and plate the stir fry with guacamole and a sprinkle of fresh Thai basil.
- Let’s chat wontons. The frozen wontons used in this stir fry recipe are Trader Joe’s Chicken Cilantro Mini Wontons. Use any frozen wontons you’d like. Pot stickers can work, too.
- Garnish with any fresh herbs. I used Thai basil from my Aerogarden setup for this particular demonstration, but I also love chives and cilantro for this dish.
- Note to self: buy 2-3 bags when shopping for these Trader Joe’s Mini Wontons in the future! I breezed through the bag in a few days. I love eating easy, fast stir frys for work from home lunches.
- This is a great meal prep lunch. Dice up all the vegetables and add them to a container to use for a few days at a time. I love stir frys with wontons or potstickers, or just vegetables for work from home lunches. It only takes about 20-30 minutes to make them – even less when I chop the veggies on a Monday and enjoy them throughout the week.