Once I started experimenting with sweet potato recipes, I was hooked. These twice baked sweet potatoes with bleu cheese and caramelized red onions became an instant hit in my house. They are easy to make, healthy-ish but filling, and packed with flavor.
How to bake sweet potatoes
Baking sweet potatoes is quite simple. First, whip out a fork to poke holes around the potato. This will let out steam as they cook. Generously apply olive oil and salt to the outside of the soon-to-be baked sweet potatoes. And pop them in the oven for an hour.
The fastest way to bake sweet potatoes
For quick baked sweet potatoes, cut them in half. Coat with olive oil and salt, then place the cut side down on parchment paper. Bake for 30-40 minutes.
Also try these crock pot sweet potatoes.
Fillings for twice baked sweet potatoes
The filling can be made ahead for busy weeknight meals and holidays. The filling for this twice baked sweet potato recipe is basically mashed sweet potatoes with blue cheese. For this savory twice baked sweet potatoes recipe, add butter, salt, pepper, blue cheese and caramelized red onions.
Twice baked sweet potatoes can also be flavored with gorgonzola or goat cheese, bacon, marshmallows, brown sugar and pecans.
Most recently, I made these twice baked sweet potatoes as a Thanksgiving side dish for sous vide turkey breast. The presentation is beautiful, and being able to prep them in advance is a complete time saver. For a vegetable, try pairing the sweet potatoes with these sous vide brussels sprouts.
Twice baked sweet potatoes with blue cheese (Sip Bite Go)
- 1 sweet potato
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup red onions sautéed
- 2 tbsp butter divided
- ¼ cup blue cheese
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- Preheat oven to 390 degrees. Poke sweet potato with a fork, rub with olive oil and salt. Bake for 1 hour.
- While sweet potatoes bake, sauté red onion in 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan on low, stirring every 5-10 min until translucent. Remove from heat.
- Carefully remove sweet potato from oven and cut in half. Let cool slightly and remove inside of potatoes, preserving the skin in tact.
- In a bowl, mash the sweet potato and mix in the blue cheese, 1 tbsp of butter, S&P, and and sautéed red onions. Transfer back inside the sweet potato skin halves. Top each sweet potato half with ½ tbsp butter. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve topped with bleu cheese crumbles and cilantro.