This red cabbage carrot salad (or slaw) is made with just two main ingredients and a tasty, easy to whisk together dressing with a hint of chili pepper. Perfect to make ahead or store, enjoy this recipe as a salad or slaw for your favorite tacos and burgers.
Quick & Easy Red Cabbage Carrot Salad
I’m calling this a red cabbage and carrot salad for now. But there’s been a debate in my house… Is it a salad? Is it a slaw? Do we need to apply a label to this beautiful raw vegetable side dish to enjoy it?
Anyways, this is an easy lettuce-free salad, dressed with vinegar and NO mayo. It has two main ingredients — just simple carrots and red cabbage – and a tasty, homemade vinaigrette dressing. Enjoy this recipe as a salad, or use it as a make-ahead slaw for tacos and sous vide burgers. It’s also a great vegetable side dish for a crowd!
This red cabbage and carrot salad is also super easy to customize! Try these variations for even more delicious options:
- Carrot and red cabbage salad with apples – This version of the salad is naturally a little sweeter. Dice one cup of crisp green apples and add it to the slaw. You may need to add a little extra dressing to accommodate the addition of apples.
- Greek red cabbage and carrot salad – Add two tablespoons of chopped dill in the salad, and top with 2/3 cup of feta cheese.
- Thai red cabbage salad – Add two tablespoons each of basil and cilantro. Plus, add a crunch with 1/2 cup chopped peanuts or sesame seeds.
The star ingredients of this salad recipe are shredded carrots and red cabbage. I also included cilantro, honey, chili powder, and lime juice. I opted to use champagne vinegar, as well, but you can easily substitute apple cider vinegar instead if needed.
Finally, for a beautiful presentation, top the salad with something green – like green onions or cilantro. You can also add a pinch of sesame seeds, if you like!
How to Make Red Cabbage Carrot Salad
Step 1. First add the shredded carrots and red cabbage to a large mixing bowl. Then give them a quick mix together.
Step 2. Now whisk together the dressing ingredients: cilantro, oil, champagne vinegar, honey, salt, pepper, chili powder, and lime juice.
Step 3. Finally, dress the carrots and red cabbage with the vinaigrette. That’s it! Serve your red cabbage carrot slaw immediately or cover and chill in the fridge.
How do you shred the ingredients?
What does red cabbage taste like?
The flavor of red cabbage is a little “earthier” than green cabbage. It can have a strong, slightly bitter flavor, which is why pairing it with a sweet vegetable like carrots is a perfect match. Red cabbage is very crunchy, which is why it’s enjoyable with soft foods like burgers and tacos.
What’s in a vinaigrette?
A basic vinaigrette used for a dressing or marinade contains an oil mixed with something acidic – like a vinegar, lime juice, or lemon juice. Using fresh lime or lemon juice is always best. Chef hubs likes to use Italian lemon soda as the acidic ingredient when he’s using a vinaigrette as a marinade.
An easy way to make a tasty vinaigrette, like the one in this raw red cabbage salad, is to add fresh herbs or seasonings to it.
Final Tips for Making Red Cabbage Carrot Salad
- Embrace the cabbage. For a gorgeous vegetable, red cabbage is totally underutilized in every day cooking! This recipe is one of my favorite ways to use raw red cabbage. When I told my friend I was making this slaw for tacos last week, she asked what does red cabbage taste like, and why would I eat it on tacos? My answer: Delicious. Just delicious.
- The perfect topping. Red cabbage is very crunchy, which is why it’s enjoyable with soft foods like burgers and tacos. I like to use this slaw to top my favorite recipe for sous vide pulled pork or sous vide chicken tacos.
- Enjoy the leftovers. This salad will last a few days in the fridge when stored in an airtight container! Use it throughout the week to top tacos and burgers.
Are you a foodie, too?
Find me on Instagram to let me know what you think about this recipe @sipbitego.
Find new ways to enjoy your favorite food with sous vide cooking. Get inspired with my new book – The Home Chef’s Sous Vide Cookbook.
Red Cabbage Carrot Salad | Sip Bite Go
This easy red cabbage carrot salad, a colorful raw vegetable side dish, doubles as a delicious slaw to top off all your favorite tacos or burgers.
Add shredded carrots and red cabbage to a large mixing bowl. Give them a quick mix together.
Whisk together the dressing ingredients: cilantro, oil, champagne vinegar, honey, salt, pepper, chili powder, and lime juice.
Dress the carrots and red cabbage with the vinaigrette, and serve or cover and chill in the fridge.
- You can purchase shredded carrots or shred them yourself in a food processor.
- Red cabbage is easy to “shred” with a sharp vegetable knife. Just slice the cabbage thin.
- These inexpensive stackable glass bowls are perfect for saving space and assembling this recipe.
- Turn this into a carrot and red cabbage slaw – top tacos and burgers with it!
- Red cabbage and carrot salad will last a few days in the fridge.
- For a beautiful presentation, top the salad with something green – like green onions or cilantro. Or add a pinch of sesame seeds.
- This easy slaw can be made with apple cider vinegar instead of champagne vinegar.