Last updated on
Learn How to use Trader Joe’s pizza dough featuring. Get frozen dough tricks and recipes with the original, garlic herb pizza dough from Trader Joe’s. Once you learn the best way to use it, there’s plenty of delicious pizza recipes to try.
In this post, you’ll learn about
- Where to find Trader Joes Pizza Dough
- The best recipes for Trader Joe’s pizza dough
- The best recipes for TJ’s herb dough
- What happened to Trader Joe’s wheat dough
- Recipes using Trader Joe’s pizza dough
Where to find Trader Joe’s pizza dough
The private label brand is only sold at Trader Joe’s. It’s under the Italian name “Trader Giotto’s”.
Fresh dough is found in the refrigerated section. Though, sometimes it’s still thawing which is good to know if you’re going to be using it the same day.
In my local Oregon store, the refrigerated pizza dough is near the refrigerated pasta and hummus. It’s always at the bottom of the case, not stacked in the shelves.
Frozen TJ’s pizza dough is sold in the freezer section, obviously. Near the Italian food.
Trader Joe’s pizza crusts – that is, pre-made dough that you top and bake that has a shelf life like bread – is found in the bread section. They have a really cool looking rectangular pizza crust that’s great for making flatbreads. I use it for entertaining a lot.
Different types of pizza dough at Trader Joe’s
Fresh whole wheat pizza dough
As of 2019, Trader Joe’s whole wheat pizza dough has been discontinued. Personally, I found it a little tough to work with. It broke apart and wasn’t very forgiving when the dough was stretched. They haven’t replaced this whole wheat flour pizza dough yet.
Trader Joe’s regular pizza dough
The plain dough is made with enriched flour. I find it bakes to a chewy crust that puffs up nicely in the oven and for grilled pizza. I also use it to make ham and cheese calzones quite often.
Trader Joe’s garlic and herb dough
If you have seen it, but haven’t tried it, you’re probably wondering what the green pizza dough at Trader Joe’s is like. It has garlic, basil, and oregano in the dough. It’s great for making breadsticks or “white pizza” with either olive oil or an Alfredo sauce.
The flavor is quite bold for this particular dough, so you’ll want to have a good recipe to work with the flavors. I wouldn’t make a taco pizza on a very Italian seasoned pizza dough, for instance.
The best recipes for Trader Joe’s pizza dough
Making pizza? Don’t miss these tips on how to make pizza with store bought dough.
TJ’s regular pizza dough
- Pesto pizza. A light spread of pesto, topped with grilled chicken, mozzarella cheese, and sliced Roma tomatoes.
- Super Italian. Red pizza sauce with a few slices from of fresh mozzarella, and basil, finished with balsamic drizzle.
- Gourmet feast pizza. Sun-dried tomatoes. marinated artichoke hearts, prosciutto and gouda.
- Pear and Goat Cheese Pizza
TJ’s garlic herb pizza dough
- Go Greek pizza. With spinach, olives, and feta.
- Greens and parmesan flatbread. Drizzle with olive oil, add top with red wine caramelized onions, sprinkle parmesan, and top with fresh arugula and balsamic dressing.
- Italiano pizza. Made simple with pre-made Alfredo sauce, grilled chicken, sun-dried tomatoes, and fresh mozzarella.
- Asparagus pizza with pesto
- Breakfast pizza with eggs
Chicken is a great protein to add to pizza. See this demo on cooking chicken breast fast in under 20 minutes.
Frozen pizza dough at Trader Joe’s
When I’m heading into the dinner hours with no plans, it’s a relief to have TJ’s par-baked, frozen dough in the freezer. In my local store, they sell two pizza doughs for about $4 in the frozen section. They are ready to top and bake. One of my go-to pizzas for this dough is BBQ chicken. It’s thick and can hold heavy toppings.
See this tasty pizza with frozen premade pizza crust.
Sourdough pizza by Trader Joe’s
My friend in Rhode Island loves the Trader Joe’s sour dough, but I haven’t seen them in Oregon.
Use naan as pizza dough
This is a great trick.
Use Trader Joe’s frozen naan or fresh naan as pizza dough. This is really easy to make in a toaster oven. Let it thaw if frozen, then top the naan like regular pizza and cook it for 5-10 minutes until cheese melts.
Freeze Trader Joe’s dough
I always put Trader Joe’s pizza dough in the freezer until the night before we’re going to use it. The night before, I move it to the fridge. And the morning of using the pizza dough, I place it on the counter. It rises beautifully this way.
Tips for baking TJ’s Pizza dough
- Use a very hot oven in the 450 to 500 degree range
- Use a pizza stone if you like really crispy pizza (add it while the oven is heating)
- Cooking for kids or a crowd? Have everyone top their own mini pizza
- Learn how to make an easy red tomato sauce for the pizza
- This dough seasoning is the secret to real Italian-tasting homemade pizza dough.
- Add pizza seasoning to store bought pizza sauce. This makes the pizza taste really fresh!
- Add any fresh herbs, like basil, after the pizza is done baking (so the herbs don’t wilt)Pizza professionals cut their pizza with just a few swipes, using big ol’ pizza cutters.
- Bake pizza on a rimmed baking sheet so the edges turn a beautiful golden brown. This baking pan set will enable you to make multiple pizzas at once.
Well, there you have it, years and years of experience and opinions on Trader Joe’s dough.
Since I’m the queen of homemade pizza, I can’t even count the number or times – or years – that I’ve baked Trader Joe’s pizza at home.
Amazon disclosure - We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.