Want one of the best restaurant recommendations in San Juan? Deaverdura Restaurant in Old San Juan serves up traditional Caribbean meals. It’s one of my favorite foodie places in Puerto Rico… Let me show you why…
Get tips for traveling to San Juan, Puerto Rico in this new series of NEW Sip Bite Go travel blogger guides. Thanks to Puerto Rico for providing some of the activities in this guide for review. All options are my own.
If you’re looking for one of the best restaurants in Puerto Rico, check out Deaverdura…
SAVE THIS restaurant for your San Juan foodie travel bucket list…
Quick recommendations: Don’t miss the special PEARLED white rice (it’s super fluffy) and the Puerto Rican Sampler!
Deaverdura San Juan Restaurant Menu
What’s on the menu at Deaverdura is a little bit of a mystery until you get inside…
You see, they don’t publish a menu online that’s easy to find…
And even in the restaurant it’s not so easy to see…
The table by the menu definitely gets a lot of squinted eyes in their direction!
Food prices at Deaverdura
So they don’t have prices on the menu, but our entire check for 3 people including drinks, the Puerto Rico Sampler platter, sides and a steak dish came out to under $70…
So I would say this is a pretty inexpensive place to eat in downtown Old San Juan that’s worth the visit!
Dining experience and Deaverdura reviews
Where to find it and how to get there
You’ll find Deaverdura in Old San Juan.
It is easy to get there by foot if you’re already downtown, or by Uber if you’re at a local hotel like the Caribe Hilton.
You’ll usually find a line of people waiting to get in — there are no reservations — in the streets of colorful downtown San Juan…
They don’t rush you at all once you’re inside.
You’ll notice next to the food-window counter that there are a plethora of fresh veggies and fruits waiting to be prepared for you to eat.
Review on service and food from my husband
“That steak special is incredible!”
I don’t know if they’ll have it when you visit, but we loved the slow cooked steak on the menu at Deaverdura.
Now, as someone who cooks for a living, the idea of slow cooked steak doesn’t really sound that good…
But it was one of the most delicious steak dishes I’ve ever tried.
I asked the owner about it, because it had an interestingly delicious vinegar taste to it.
She said she wasn’t sure about the steak recipe at first when the chefs tried it…
But she, too, tried it and was blown away.
My husband adds…
“The wait staff noticed my son didn’t finish his juice drink (it was a big drink), so they said not to waste it – and they’d be happy to ADD RUM for me to finish it!”
Review from my son
“I love the rice”
– And he’s not wrong about loving the rice over other things because Puerto Rico is KNOWN for their pearly, fluffy rice – and the rice at Deaverdura does not disappoint!
We sampled his white rice side dish (which was a very generous portion)…
And enjoyed the dirty rice in the Puerto Rican Sampler platter…
And had rice and beans in our steak dish.
So you can be sure, we tried all the rice at Deaverdura and loved it all!
My son loves to remember one particular thing about our delicious dinner at Deaverdura…
“They cut the coconut with a machete!”
YES – it was quite a site to be seen…
The table near us ordered a fresh coconut to drink, and I guess it wouldn’t “work”…
Apparently, it wouldn’t open correctly for them to suck out the coconut milk or water or whatever is actually inside of it.
So the owner of Deaverdura brought it to the corner of the restaurant where all the fresh plantains are draped over the shelves…
And took a big knife to it!
We could feel her power, let me tell you, from across the restaurant.
I like that woman!
More Deaverdura Food Pics
Here’s a list of what we tried and some more photos from Deaverdura…
- Drinks (beer and fruit punch for the kiddo)
- Puerto Rican Food Sampler (with shareable appetizers including dirty rice, tender pulled pork, fried plantains and croquettes)
- Steak dinner special with onions and rice and beans
- Rice (white rice is actually very specially made in Puerto Rico!)
- Dessert (flan and some sort of plantain bread pudding that was like a cheesecake)
If you’re not convinced yet that this is one of the most delicious places to get Caribbean food in San Juan…
Then obviously you don’t like food !
Best Puerto Rico travel guides on Sip Bite Go…
- See an honest review of the Bacardi tour in Puerto Rico.
- Browse what to do in San Juan.
- See what to do in Puerto Rico with family for a kid-friendly trip.
- Check out the Caribe Hilton resort in San Juan.
- See the famous Santurce art walk tour.
- Eat yummy food at Deaverdura.
- Grab a craft beer and pub food at La Taberna Lúpulo.
- Visit beautiful Luquillo Beach.
- Visit San Felipe Del Morro Castle.
- See a *rainforest* tour to El Yunque Puerto Rico.
- Check out this guide to La Placita de Santurce.
- Have kids? Visit TORO VERDE Urban Park.
- Grab a bite in Old San Juan at Triana Tapas & Flamenco.
- Visit the bar at Hotel el Convento.
- Try a steak at Princesa Gastrobar.
- Learn how many airports are in Puerto Rico.
- History buffs – explore Plaza del Quinto Centenario.
- Have family fun at our favorite Old San Juan playground.
- Try the popular mofungo dish at local restaurant – Rincon Ibérico.
- See my review of The Spoon Experience San Juan Excursion.
- See the best restaurants in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
Are you ready for some more Puerto Rican cuisine?
Hey foodie travelers, hope that answers all your questions about what to order at Deaverdura Restaurant in Old San Juan.
It’s definitely a must-try food spot in Puerto Rico!
Next, browse the Sip Bite Go recipe collection…